Saturday, February 5, 2011

HEART THROB

I had one hour to make a Meijer run.  The Saturday before the Super Bowl turns out to be not great timing for this, however, there were plenty of nice Meijer people planted around the store to hand out smiles, hellos and loads of free samples today (all of which I declined despite the hearty appetite I've developed in the last couple months).

Since I was headed to Meijer, I figured I ought to buy the things Aldi doesn't typically carry such as dried ancho chiles and masa harina for the tamales I've been craving since New Years Eve with the Elgersmas.  Actually, I wonder if Aldi does carry masa harina?  I had a coupon for Tabasco green pepper sauce, but somehow I missed it when I scaled the condiment aisle.  Garden Fresh chips and salsa were buy one get one free.  The only salsa better than their garlic artichoke, is when its made fresh at home.  I recently discovered the most authentic enchilada sauce that comes in a can by La Victoria, so I had to pick up one of those, and one arms reach away was the last can of chopped green chilies, also hard to come by at Aldi.  On the bottom shelf were the dried corn husks for tamales.  Apparently, only some Costcos carries tamales in the winter, and Grandville isn't one of them so I've resolved to make my own.  I finally bought the Meijer Gold european sparkling limeade that appeals to me every time I see on the top shelf in the juice aisle.  It truly is a virgin Mojito in a bottle.  Add some mint leaves and raw sugar cane, you'd never know the difference!

Costco tamales

masa harina to make my own

Other than what might seem a craving for spicy latin american cuisine (not a new craving, only one pronounced by a growing baby), I was also ridiculously excited when I found two boxes of Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran pushed way to the back just peeking out from behind the Oatmeal Squares.  QCCB is my absolute favorite cereal.  I've looked and looked for it at Meijer before with no success.  It makes perfect sense though that I would find it when I wasn't looking for it.  And though even on sale, they're still a fortune, I bought blackberries.  If only I could afford to eat them everyday.

To top it all off, it's Valentines Day which means I am savoring some Brach's Conversation Hearts right now.  This one says, HEART THROB!

No comments: