Friday, March 26, 2010

This Old House

KC and I go to the Grandville Libary every Tuesday.  I absolutely love being able to put Ki in the stroller and walk a few blocks to our local library.  I did register him for Baby Time but haven't been yet.  The first week I had a dentist appointment that I had already rescheduled twice and then last week, Ki had an awful cough.  This Tuesday, KC and I are planning to go to Ikea in Chicago to buy a bed for a guest room.  So we'll be missing Baby Time again.  Everything in it's right time.  Although we've missed Baby Time, we've still been to the library every Tuesday and I'm forever borrowing books about  home design, landscaping, furniture, organization, painting, artwork and framing, beading and crafting.

As a result of moving into a project house, I am constantly thinking of renovation projects.  Although I am a very project-driven type of person, I am easily overwhelmed by my own ambitions.  I am constantly reminding myself to take things in stride, start small, one-at-a-time.  In the meantime, I am always dreaming and sharing extravagent design ideas with KC that I usually preface by saying, "I know we may never do this, but, I had this great idea..."  My latest idea was to open the wall between the living room and kitchen from countertop height to the door head.  That way we could give our charming little 1948 house a little more openness.  This is just the beginning of my great ideas for home improvement.

The trick to having a project house is prioritizing projects.  When we bought the house, it was clear what our no. 1 priority was.  The bathroom.  Other than the fact that it didn't really have a shower, it was in desperate need of a makeover.  Priority no. 2.  Pull up carpet to expose beautiful pine wood floors and finish as needed.  We were fortunate we didn't really need to refinish the floors because they are in such good shape.  Priority no. 3.  Paint.  After renting for about 10 years, I was not living in a house of white walls

All for now.  Time for a little Project Runway.

And to leave you with a little gem I hope to add to our home decor someday:  This Lacquer Tray in Tumeric. I love the bigger 24" diameter.  It would be a great on our oversized tufted ottoman in the living room for setting drinks and snacks or whatever I happen to be reading.  Today - How to Paint Just About Anything by Better Homes and Gardens.

No comments: